1. How long have you been spinning? What skill level do you consider yourself?
I started two years ago, and I consider myself having intermediate skills.
2. What kinds of yarn do you create (singles/2-ply/3-ply/art yarn)?
I've done singles, 2-plies, a few navajo plies and a lot of art yarns. I love the creative process that goes into making an art yarn, but lately I've been drawn towards achieving a really thin and even 2-ply.
3. What do you spin with (spindle/wheel/both)?
I love my spindles as they are portable and I achieve perfect singles with them every time. Also my wheel, a Baynes double treader is a reliable work horse, good for anything. So both, really.
4. What are your favorite fibers to spin with? Anything you don't like?
I love merino and anything blended with merino like merino/tencel and merino/silk blends. Any soft fiber like alpaca, angora, cashmere, as well as those blended with soy silk, bamboo or cotton.
I don't care for mohair or colonial type wool.
5. Who are your favorite crack dealers fiber sources (etsy or otherwise)?
I love anything at Crown Mountain Farms, the undyed fibers as well as the dyed ones (Coral Reef has cool colors)
On etsy: Theytoldmesew (aah, Tidepool!) and Pigeonroof Studios
6. What kind of fiber do you want to try?
I haven't yet spun a soy silk or seacell blend, nor more exotic things like qiviut, yak, possum. I'd love to try some ccol concoction with milk protein, chitin, sea cell (among other things), or just a superwash merino.
7. Is there any techniques you would like to learn?
I would like to being able to understand how a diz works. Can you really pull so much fiber through a thin hole?
8. Do you dye fiber? If not, would you like to learn?
I dye fiber. I lust after Treetops colors, can't get them anywhere. (hint hint)
9. Do you have fiber prep tools (and like to use them) or would you prefer ready to spin fiber?
I don't have the time to prep too much, so I'm all for ready to spin or with minimal prepping (blending).
10. What do you do with your handspun? What projects have you completed?
I have knitted and crocheted scarves, handwarmers, a hat and a cardigan jacket. I'll be starting a sweater soon. But often I just have them in a bowl on my dining room table and pet them as I go by.
11. Are you in need of any spinning gadgets (WPI Gauge, threading hook, etc)?
There is a handy gadget for measuring yards per pound (McMorran balance).
Also a yardage meter would come in handy. I often rewind yarn from cones into smaller hanks.
12. What colors "fall into your shopping basket"? Any colors you just can't stand?
I don't like blacks and yellows or any neon colors or harsh contrasts. I'm not big on fall colors, either. I mostly go with shades of white, greys, and deep mauves and plums. Also orange by itself and midnight blue really speak to me. Hey, just surprise me! A natural wool color is really beautiful.
13. What is on your wheel/spindle right now?
An alpaca/bamboo/merino blend that I carded up myself. Divine!
14. What other crafts/hobbies do you have?
I'm big on collage and have been making Artist Trading Cards for a year. I also have a line of wet felted garments and accessories. (There you could say my hobby is my work, or my work is my hobby.)
15. Other than crafts, what are you passionate about?
Spending time with family. Movies, sports, gardening, learning something new every day.
16. Do you have an online wishlist?
17. Is there anything that you collect?
Vintage ephemera for my ATC's. Old letters, old professional stamps from defunct companies ("Classified information" would be so cool to have! )
18. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What magazine subscriptions do you have?
I have Vogue Knitting and Spin Off subscriptions. For books, the abovementioned amazon wishlist contains some cool spinning and dyeing related books.
19. When is your birthday?
20. What book or movie character do you most resemble in personality?
It's hard for me to tell how my personality comes across. I feel quiet and shy, but people tell me I'm relatively outgoing. Ugly Betty?
21. What is the climate like where you live around this time (need to know for careful shipments of anything meltable)?
22. Tell us one weird fact about yourself!My bed has to be made just so. I'll get up in the middle of the night and remake it, if necessary.
favorite painting/picture(link): pluckyfluff posie yarn
Candy: I don't do candy or chocolate.
Food: Love Mexican food. Anything with cilantro... yum.
Drink: Water, hard cider, rosee wine.
Movie(s): You've Got Mail. Pride and Prejudice. Front Page. Sleepless in Seattle.
TV Show(s): Gilmore Girls. Friends. Scrubs. Ed. Nothern Exposure. House.
Book(s): Jane Smiley. Alexander McCall Smith. Alison Lurie. Margaret Atwood. Alice Hoffmann. Agatha Christie. Jane Austen.
Guilty Pleasure(s): Ordering (more) fiber, yarn, atc utencils... (It's definitely way too easy!) Surfing the net instead of tending to my hobbies...